Not everyone can have a motor trader policy or needs one. It is for certain trades or occupations that will be involved with driving or moving around the vehicles owned by another individual or entity. They are the custodian of them while they work on them or try to sell them and so need insurance protection should any loss or damage occur, in respect of the other person’s vehicle.

It is possible to find out more about these kinds of policies and to purchase one, by visiting a site such as the one for, that by its very description can cater for all your insurance needs in one place.

Let us now examine just what the requirements are that will mean insurers accept you, when it comes to offering you a competitive quotation for motor trader insurance.

What is a Motor Trader?

A motor trader is considered to be someone who has invested in the motor trade sector. That is, they have a business involved with motor vehicles that they are looking to purchase insurance for to protect them financially and stay inside the law.

How Do I Prove My Motor Trade Connection?

To prove that you have that all-important motor trade connection, it will help if you have some receipts that you have kept from vehicles that you have bought or sold. This will provide proof that you are trading in motor vehicles. Many insurers will require such proof before accepting you for a motor trader policy. It is not something that is just given out to people just because they simply pay the premium.

The period over which documentary evidence is usually required will be 2 to 3 weeks. A one-off sale of a vehicle will not count as trading. If it is not selling vehicles that you are into, then receipts that relate to valeting work, for example, will also provide proof that you work in this industry, as they are connected to cleaning vehicles. This is another approved occupation.

Occupations Indicating You Are a Motor Trader

The types of occupations that are linked to motor trading include:

Vehicle Repair – this can relate to sorting out the mechanics or bodywork of a vehicle. Sometimes the two can be separate, although many garages will be able to offer repairs that put right any part of a vehicle that needs attention, or simply a service. MOT Stations will serve the needs of that annual event.

Valeting – to clean the vehicle of a customer. Those offering this kind of work will often collect and return a vehicle to a customer, as part of the service that they offer. It is necessary to have motor trader insurance to be insured to drive the customer’s vehicle. 

Sales services – concerning those who buy and sell vehicles to make a profit. There will be a necessity to move vehicles into different locations at the premises to help sell them. Also, a row of brand-new cars can often attract the wrong kind of attention, meaning that any potential thefts or vandalism should be covered by insurance. The vehicles can range in price and the values will need to be checked on with your insurance company, to make sure that the more valuable vehicles are also covered.

Breakdown services – where someone breaks down on the side of a road and is rescued by a garage. Those involved in attending cars will need insuring because they will be handling the cars of another in their work.

Motor trader insurance policies are only possible to obtain when you can prove that you work with vehicles. We do this with documentary evidence of trading and by having a relevant occupation, where there is a necessity for motor trader insurance. With that cover, we can be insured for a customer’s vehicle wherever we house it. This is best in a secure location to keep premiums down.

You might also like to read: