With elder people living in your home, you probably understand the importance of living aids. There are different products and devices that offer support to aged people.
One of the essential living aids for aged care is mobility aids. Mobility aids strongly assist older people in getting support and security to move freely. Around 93% of people living in elderly care facilities use these assistive devices. Walkers are one of the most trusted products for the elderly. With the passing of age, different ailments appear like arthritis, injuries, and even physical weakness. The best walkers ensure that seniors improve their mobility and standard of living.
This article will address how buying a walker is an excellent idea if you have senior citizens in your home.
The Most Common Reasons for using a Walker
Using a walker is not limited to one or two health-related reasons. Older people can take the help of these for several reasons like –
- When they have body-balance issues due to hearing impairments or other causes.
- They are weak and cannot stand for long periods.
- Sometimes it can be helpful if the older people in your house are afraid of falling.
- When they have recently undergone surgery or have been discharged from the hospital.
- They are experiencing physical weakness due to their age.
- Older people with respiratory issues.
- If they have cardiac/heart disease.
- When they have an existing injury.
- Sometimes, their crutch or cane fails to provide the support they need.
- Also, patients suffering from mental health issues that have affected their mobility might need these.
What Benefits does a Walker provide?
Older people using walkers have seen a considerable improvement in their lifestyle. The benefits of using walkers for mobility have proved helpful in different ways. Some of them are –
- Walkers essentially increase the self-confidence of older people. Most of them had insecurities with their unsteady movement while moving freely in their home.
- These living aid products for mobility help senior citizens to have a better body balance.
- With a better body balance, they confidently avoid the risk of falling even while walking outside.
- Walkers improve their endurance.
- They also significantly reduce the post-injury recovery time.
- They provide the extra support that assists older adults in doing things they love without fearing mobility problems.
According to an estimate presented by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), every 1 out of 4 senior people falls and injures themselves every year. Different mobility aids for the aged are crucial in curbing the numbers.
Is Walking Important for Senior Citizens?
Walking is necessary for older people to ensure they live independently for long enough. However, sometimes different buyers have opined that they know older adults who do not like using walkers. Such senior citizens need to be made aware of the benefits of mobility and how it reduces blood pressure. Moreover, a good walk daily can also help keep mental health issues at bay.
Mobility devices are just one of the different aids for aged care. You can also find other assistive products like wheelchairs, daily living aids, bathroom aids, bedroom equipment, etc. There are various companies selling these products for your family members in Australia.