Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.
On this page, I’ll break down all the basics of content marketing in simple terms so that even if you’re new to this world of content, blogs and videos, by the time you reach the end of this article (or any other post on our blog!) you’ll have learned some helpful tips for getting started with your own content strategy!
Table of contents
- What is Content Marketing?
- Why Content Marketing?
- 5 Reasons to Get Started with Content Marketing
- The Importance of Content Marketing in Business
- 3 Step Process To Creating Your Own Blog
- How To Create Content That Works
- 5 Ways to Grow Your Business Using Social Media in your Content Marketing mix
- How To Persuade People
- How to Start a Content Marketing Blog if You’re Not a Writer
- Learn more about content marketing and how to get started today.
Estimated reading time: 12 minutes
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is the process of creating and publishing useful, relevant, and interesting content to attract, acquire, and engage a clearly defined audience — with the objective of driving profitable customer action.
Content marketing has proven itself to be one of the most effective ways to grow your business. But it can also feel overwhelming because you’re constantly producing content. How do you know if your strategy is working? And what do you need to do to make sure it succeeds?
Why Content Marketing?
As a business owner, it’s important to build trust with your audience. That’s why content marketing is such an effective strategy — it helps you build a community of loyal followers who are interested in learning more about the products and services that you offer.
Content marketing also allows you to establish yourself as an expert in your field, thereby building your brand. This is especially important when dealing with B2B clients; once they realize that you have valuable knowledge about their industry and its challenges, they’ll be far more likely to choose your company over competitors.
And finally, content marketing can have a major impact on sales; according to Hubspot (a leading blog for entrepreneurs), 84% of companies reported their website generated leads at least occasionally during Q4 alone!
5 Reasons to Get Started with Content Marketing
We’ve covered what content marketing is and how you can use it to build trust with customers, but there are many more reasons why you should start using content marketing. Here are five important benefits of starting a content marketing strategy:
- Content marketing helps you build trust with your audience.
- Content marketing builds your community.
- Content is an excellent way to promote your brand!
- Content marketing is an effective way to reach new audiences and increase awareness of your business or organization’s products or services.
The Importance of Content Marketing in Business
- Content marketing is a great way to build your brand.
- Content marketing is a great way to grow your business.
- Content marketing is a great way to connect with your customers and build trust with them.
- Content marketing can help you get more sales for your company, and it’s something that can be done over time if you invest in this strategy consistently over time.
3 Step Process To Creating Your Own Blog
First, you’ll need to choose a hosting provider. There are lots of options out there, but we recommend SiteGround. They have great customer service and fast servers with all the bells and whistles like SSL certificates and daily backups. Plus, they’re super affordable!
Step 1: Sign up for Siteground
Head over here: https://www.siteground.com/web-hosting and click on “get started now.” That will take you to a page where you can enter your email address, choose a domain name for your site, and set up billing information. If you don’t have an email address yet, just make one up! It’s free and easy. You can also use this opportunity to set up your domain name (which is what people will type into their browsers to get to your site).
Step 2: Install WordPress on your Siteground account
Next, you’ll need to decide where you want your site hosted. I recommend WordPress as it’s easy-to-use and has tons of add-ons that make it easy for anyone (even beginners) to customize their website. I have a simple 4-step tutorial on installing and using WordPress here.
After you finish signing up, click on the “Manage” button in the upper-right corner of the screen. This will take you back to a list of all the accounts you’ve created with Siteground. Find the one that says “WordPress,” click on it, then click “Install.”
The last step is actually writing content for your blog! The good news is that this isn’t as hard as it sounds—you don’t need to be an expert (or even very tech savvy) to write interesting articles that people will love reading! Just make sure that each post has a clear call-to-action at the end so readers know what they should do next (like buy something from your store or subscribe via email). You can read all about blogging in the Ultimate Guide To Blogging.
And there you have it! You’ve got yourself a blog that anyone would be proud of—and the best part? It cost less than $5 per month!
What kind of content should I create for my content marketing strategy?
Ok, so now you have a blog, and maybe you’ve even added a social media account on Tiktok and Instagram. Now what? Content marketing is a great way to get your brand in front of people who are already searching for what you have to offer. But it’s not enough to just create “good” content—you have to create the right kind of content for your audience, at the right time.
Here are some questions to get you started:
- Who are you trying to reach?
- What are their pain points?
- How can you solve those pain points with your product or service?
Content marketing is all about creating and sharing content that your target audience will find valuable. The goal of content marketing is to provide something that will help your customers or potential customers make a decision in your favor.
This means that you need to share content that is relevant to your product or service, and give them the information they need to make a decision. You can do this through videos, social media posts, articles or even blog posts.
For example, if you are selling bicycles then you might want to create an article about how to choose the best bicycle for kids. The article would provide them with what they need in order to make an informed choice about which one is right for their child.
If you’re still struggling with what kind of content to create, take a look at these examples:
- I’m a content marketing strategist so creating this Ultimate Guide To Content Marketing is a must and works in my favor. People that search on Google to get started with content marketing find my article, and they will hopefully contact me to work with them!
- There are a lot of ‘viral’ TikTok products, products that are shown in a video, and become an instant best seller.
- User-generated content (UGC) is a powerful tool for your content marketing efforts. It’s also one of the most popular forms of content marketing, because it puts the consumer at the forefront of your brand’s messaging and shows that you’re listening. UGC can be as simple as asking customers to share photos or stories about your product, or it can involve hosting contests where users submit their own ideas. While UGC is great, it can be challenging to figure out how to incorporate this type of content into your social media marketing strategy. So I’ve put together some tips for how to get started in the Ultimate Guide To UGC for businesses + UGC creators!
How To Create Content That Works
Content marketing is all about the consumer. It’s not just about you and your company, it’s about your customers and their needs.
If you want to succeed in content marketing, you need to understand what your audience wants and needs, and then provide that information.
You can’t just write whatever you want—you have to write what they want. You can use tools to write that copy for you, but you’d still need a content marketing strategist to work out the details, create a content plan and calendar to make the most out of your content.
Content marketing is a great way to build your audience, but it’s not easy to come up with ideas for new content. Here are some tips for creating content that will make your audience fall in love with you:
- Listening to your customers is key. You should be tracking the way they interact with your products, services, and brand in order to get a sense of what kind of content they’ll respond well to.
- Get creative! Ask yourself what kinds of questions would be interesting for your audience, then create content that answers those questions.
- Make sure you’re putting out quality content—don’t just fill up space with fluff! Your users want useful information that helps them make decisions about their lives or businesses.
5 Ways to Grow Your Business Using Social Media in your Content Marketing mix
Social media is an easy and powerful way to build your business, connect with customers and grow your brand. Although content marketing isn’t just about social media, it is a big part of your content marketing mix these days.
Social media marketing can help you:
- Build relationships. Social media allows you to put a face on the company, sharing news and updates that keeps your followers interested in what you have to say. It’s also a great place for customer support via direct messaging or live chats with other users who may need help with their products or services.
- Market your products or services directly through social sharing buttons on each post that encourages people to follow links back into your website where they can learn more about what you offer them (and hopefully buy something).
- In addition, many social networks have advertising options which allow businesses to target specific demographics based on age groupings like millennials ages 18–34 years old who live within 10 miles of an area code listed by zip code only if they want a targeted audience within those parameters only. This is a great way to target your audience and this is covered in the paid advertising part of marketing.
How To Persuade People
Now that you’ve got a good understanding of the basics, let’s take a look at how to turn your headline into something people want to click on.
To start, think about what kind of content works best for your brand and audience. If you run an animal shelter, maybe it makes sense for you to post pics of cute animals. If you’re selling luxury watches, maybe gifs are more your speed (and yes — you can insert them into Facebook posts). The point is: choose something that fits both the topic and your target audience.
Once you’ve got an idea in mind, think about using images or videos as part of the post itself rather than just sharing links outwards and hoping they’ll click over themselves. This can be harder than it sounds but there are some great tools like Canva which help make this process easier!
How to Start a Content Marketing Blog if You’re Not a Writer
If you’re not a writer, or even if you are but aren’t sure how to get started with content marketing, there are plenty of great ways to create engaging and useful content for your business. Here’s what we recommend:
- Start with guest posts. Guest posting is one of the most powerful ways to build relationships with other writers and companies in your niche. You can write an article for others’ blogs (and have them link back to yours) by providing value through thoughtful commentary on the latest news or trends within your industry.
- Create original written pieces that go beyond “here’s how we did it.” Whether it’s a blog post or newsletter, think about what new information people might find helpful as they learn more about working with your brand — or just keep them coming back!
- Use social media videos as a way to engage customers at every stage of their buying cycle — from awareness all the way up until they’ve made a purchase decision (and beyond). Videos allow viewers who may not know much about you yet still want more information after seeing one post share another video without having any previous knowledge about your company whatsoever (which means those new leads might end up being some of our best long-term customers). And don’t forget that Instagram and TikTok Stories have been growing rapidly; these short clips could help connect potential buyers still further into making purchases from businesses like yours!
Check out the Ultimate Guide To Blogging to get you up to speed with all things blogging.
Learn more about content marketing and how to get started today.
Content marketing is a great way to promote your business, gain more customers and build your brand. It also helps you build your audience and authority. You can use content marketing in many different ways:
- Create blog posts or articles that provide value to your audience and link back to other pages on your site. This will help you reach new people who are interested in what you have to offer.
- Share useful information on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn so people know about the products or services that interest them most from the beginning of their search process until they make a purchase decision.
At this point, I hope you understand why and have a plan for getting started with content marketing yourself. If you need any help along the way or have more questions, feel free to reach out. You can always check in with me to see if I’ve any free spots available.