Every business that wants to be successful will have some form of digital footprint. A website, a blog, good social media profiles perhaps, and some form of presence when it comes to web searches. However, there are often many mistakes that people make when it comes to producing their blogs. As so many are taking to the online world to help promote their business and brand, it is worth ensuring that you don’t make any of these mistakes yourself. Read on to find out more on how you can avoid some of the common mistakes many people make daily.
Also read: The non-techie guide to start a self-hosted professional blog
Not monetizing your blog
You’d be surprised how many bloggers don’t monetize their blog. You might put on some ads, but that’s not it. There are over 50+ ways you can make money with your blog, with affiliate marketing being the easiest, most passive and best option right now if you have to believe this blogger who will make $2 million this year by using affiliate marketing.
Not using search engine optimization
Search engine optimization is key to ensuring that your web page is seen, especially when people use specific search terms directly for your business in popular search engines like Google. SEO is where you focus on keywords in your copy and on your web pages. But also getting your website linked back to from other websites and sites with a high domain authority. This shows search engines that you are deemed “important” and subsequently will direct their clients to your site if it deems fit with the wording used in the original search. It can be a great way to ensure that your website gets seen when someone is searching within your industry.
Underestimating the power of social media
So many people turn to social media these days for personal and business use. Almost 70% of the nation that has active Facebook profiles alone will check their feeds at least once a day. But yet so many smaller businesses do not use social media to their advantage. Having a clear and consistent social media strategy can often be an industry leading best-kept secret to ensure that your business is seen by the masses and not by the few. A professional tone with consistent content will be key to ensuring that your business is seen by a wider audience. Not to mention that advertising options within sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Enabling you to showcase your business to a massive audience within specific demographics.
Failing to create a memorable brand
Your brand is very important to how your website looks. It’s the one chance to make a decent first impression. If your website doesn’t look good or particularly inviting. If your brand doesn’t speak volumes about what you stand for. If your website isn’t easy to use or have the content in which it needs, then it just won’t work for you. It’s important to ensure that your website ticks all the boxes in order to stand out.
Not analyzing or losing important data
Websites can crash, items can be ost online, and often we don’t think we have the tools or the skills necessary to recover those files and that information. Thankfully, you can enlist the help of companies that specialize in data recovery to avoid any further problems in the future. However, it is always advisable to back files up and websites. You can do this online in the form of cloud services or even onto a straightforward hard drive.
Slow page loading times
How quickly your website loads up online is the difference between someone sticking around to see what you have to offer, and someone simply clicking off your website and finding another source of information. It is that simple. Your page loading times can vary, but the amount of information you have on the page has much to do with. For example, pictures that are large can cause download speeds to slow down. Having too much information to load on the one page. Think about your website and how it will appear to someone else. If you want to place a focus on your page loading times, then check out some tips online to help you speed up your site.
You might wanna read this post: why I had to delete 200.000+ comments & how to check your blog for dead links with one click
Not having the right information online
Finally, the last thing you need to consider is the information you have on your website. It is essential that you have the right information on your website to ensure that you keep up appearances. The last thing any business or personal blog needs is to deter visitors from returning to your site because it has incorrect information.
The main problem people can face with this is having products advertised with wrong prices or even things that are no longer provided or out of stock. It’s always a good idea to check your website pages regularly to ensure all information is accurate.
I hope this helps you to avoid any website blunders in the future.
Read more about improving your blog and becoming a professional, fulltime blogger:
- #1: Mailchimp vs Convertkit: growing your list to 5000+ and which is best if you want to make money blogging with a small following?
- #2: How to use Tailwind Tribes to grow your blog traffic and make more sales on autopilot with automatic Pinterest scheduling
- #3: Blog networks you should sign up to when you’re a blogger with a small following
- #4: You should try to grow your traffic and followers organically for free with these automations
- #5: 16 ways to drive traffic to old blog posts to double your blog income (+ free pdf checklist)
- #6: The 25 tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- #7: 7 Smart strategies you don’t know yet that will prepare you for bad financial times as a blogger
- #8: The fail-proof way to quit your 9 – 5 job to become a full-time blogger
- #9. Recurring income affiliate programs and the highest paying affiliate programs
- #10. 6 Blog mistakes that are keeping you from making money
- #11. 5 Reasons why you should build a profitable blog to make passive income online now, before even thinking about building an online business or going freelance (including free ‘passive income 101’ ebook)
- #12. 3 Surprising business tasks for bloggers including free checklist